Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Here are the readings for the Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time, August 18, 2013:

Jeremiah 38: 4-6, 8-10
Psalm 40: 2-4, 18
Hebrews 12: 1-4
Luke 12: 49-53

"Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division." Hey, what happened to that peaceful, healing Jesus we usually read about in Luke's Gospel? And what's with the fire imagery, isn't that for that place that's the opposite of heaven?

Think more about the refining fire that separates the impurities from the gold. Consider the imagery of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost as tongues of flame. And recall that baptism required a total immersion of self, resulting in a new lifestyle, a new mission. Jesus is yearning for us to find that spark that energizes us to action. And the simple reality is this- our change in belief, in speech, in lifestyle, may well be a source of discomfort or puzzlement for those closest to us.  It's not that Jesus is coaching us to encourage dissent, he's trying to prepare us for the reality that being his disciple comes with a cost. But once you let the Holy Spirit be your guide and your strength, how do you choose otherwise?

There's another section from the book of the prophet Jeremiah (verses 7-9) that speaks to this reality: "the word of the Lord has brought me derision  ... I say to myself, I will not mention him, I will speak his name no more. But then it becomes like a fire burning in my heart, imprisoned in my bones; I grow weary holding it in..."

Have you felt that- in your workplace, professional life, prayer time with God? Something that is so deeply important that holding it back is painful?  Maybe, just maybe, this Jesus of peace and healing is hoping that we each have enough spark of desire to be moved out of our complacency, beyond our fears and reluctance, and set the world ablaze with the power of God's love!

No comments:

Post a Comment