Monday, July 19, 2010

Today in Scripture

The second half of today's first reading (full reading: Micah 6: 1-4, 6-8):
Micah 6: 6-8
With what shall I come before the LORD,
and bow before God most high?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
with calves a year old?
Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
with myriad streams of oil?
Shall I give my first-born for my crime,
the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
You have been told, O man, what is good,
and what the LORD requires of you:
Only to do the right and to love goodness,
and to walk humbly with your God.
This reminds me a little bit of the dynamic in yesterday's Gospel, when Jesus was visiting with Martha and Mary. Do you think that sometimes we complicate things a bit much, in an attempt to 'win favor' with God? The good news of the Gospel is simple: God loves us. God loves you, and there's not a thing you can do to diminish that love. You do, of course, have the free will to reject God's love, but it seems that it is humanity that complicates how we might respond in love, worship, or thanksgiving.

A slightly different translation of Micah 6:8 makes clear just how simple (and how challenging) is our calling as disciples:
This is what God asks of you: 
only this,
to act justly,
to love tenderly
and to walk humbly with your God.

This might be a good week to reflect on how well the priorities in your life support this three-fold mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment