Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Archbishop Oscar Romero

Thirty years ago today, Archbishop Oscar Romero of El Salvador was murdered as he celebrated mass. Chosen to be bishop as a safe, non-controversial person, he was strongly affected by the death of one of his priests, a priest who had spoken for the poor and powerless in the midst of a terrible repression by the country's military. Romero's conversion to being a strong advocate for the people against the brutalities of the government led to his eventual murder, his martyrdom, the day after he called on the Christian members of the military to follow their conscience, their faith, and refuse to continue the killings.
 "Martyrdom is a grace of God that I do not believe I deserve. But if God accepts the sacrifice of my life, let my blood be a seed of freedom and the sign that hope will soon be reality. Let my death, if it is accepted by God, be for my people's liberation and as a witness of hope in the future. You may say, if they succeed in killing me, that I pardon and bless those who do it. Would, indeed, that they might be convinced that they will waste their time. A bishop will die, but God's church, which is the people, will never perish."
                                                               +Oscar Romero
 You may wish to rent the 1989 film, "Romero" starring Raul Julia - it is at times difficult to watch, but a compelling story. And on this page you will find an excellent introduction to the life, conversion and ministry of Oscar Romero. 

"I do not believe in death without resurrection," he said. "If they kill me, I will be resurrected in the Salvadoran people." 


His case for canonization was opened in Rome in 1997; he now holds the title "Servant of God". For many, many people he is already their (our) saint, a martyr of El Salvador.

What can we learn from his life? The humility to learn, grow and change, the courage to stand for what is right, and the strength of love that lasts far longer than one's earthly lifespan. Oscar Romero, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment